Learn about the history of pizza in Chicago and beyond in the Franklin Gallery on the third floor of the Niles Public Library District from February 1–March 31, 2017. The exhibition will explain what defines Chicago pizza styles and how they relate to regional styles throughout the United States. New and vintage items from the U.S. Pizza Museum collection will bring the stories to life.
There will be an opening celebration on Friday, February 3 featuring free pizza from Home Run Inn from 6:30–8:30pm, while supplies last.
There will be several free pizza-themed events at the Niles Public Library District during the run of the exhibit.
- 2/3: I Love Pizza Kickoff, 6:30–8:30pm
- 2/4–2/28: Pizza Box Art Contest (Grades 7–12)
- 2/9: The History of Pizza, U.S. Pizza Museum Founder, Kendall Bruns, 7–8:15pm
- 2/18: Pizza Dough Demo, Paulie Gee’s Logan Square Owner, Derrick Tung, 11–11:45am
- 2/22: Bedtime Pizza Math (Ages 4 and Up), 7–7:45pm
- 3/4: Pizza Snack Food Taste-off, 12–4pm
- 3/6: Explore Southern Italy, 7–8:30pm
- 3/14: Pizza Pi Day! (Grades K–4), 4–4:45pm
- 3/22: The History of Pizza, U.S. Pizza Museum Founder, Kendall Bruns (Sr. Coffee Hour), 10:30–11:30am
For more details about this exhibit and special pizza-themed events, visit nileslibrary.org/pizza.
About the Niles Public Library District
The Niles Public Library District serves 59,000 residents in the Village of Niles, Unincorporated Des Plaines, and Unincorporated Glenview. The Library District’s mission is to enrich the community by meeting its informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs. The Library District provides a wide variety of materials, resources, and services as well as a friendly, experienced, and professional staff in a safe and welcoming environment. Niles Public Library District is located at 6960 W. Oakton St, the northeast corner of the Oakton and Waukegan intersection. Library hours are Monday through Thursday, 9am to 9pm, Friday, 9am to 7pm, Saturday, 9am to 5pm and Sunday, 1 to 5 pm.
Photo: Coalfire pizza photographed by Kendall Bruns.